- So, a brief disclaimer: yes, s11 was a hard act to follow, but this is where the fandom negativity really started to get to me, because despite its flaws (and every season has them, even the best ones), s12 has some really good stuff that seems to get ignored in favor of nit-picking.
- Okay--this sounds kind of bad, but I cannot tell a lie: Sam was absolutely gorgeous while being tortured in 12.01-02 (which he balanced out by being resolute and sassy and resourceful). Really, the whole season had some beautiful cinematography; Sam simply started things out with a bang.
- Which leads nicely into the list of episodes I throughly enjoyed and have rewatched multiple times: "American Nightmare", "The One You've Been Waiting For", "Celebrating the Life of Asa Fox", "Rock Never Dies", "Lily Sunder Has Some Regrets", "Regarding Dean", "Stuck In the Middle With You", "The Raid", "Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell", "Ladies Drink Free", "The Memory Remains", "Twigs & Twine & Tasha Banes", "Who We Are". And I've rewatched portions of all the other episodes as well--some excellent domestic moments between Sam and Dean.
- Some favorite moments with Sam and Dean: eating breakfast together at the beginning of "The Foundry", bickering over Sam's childhood passion for Vince Vincente, Dean's glee over killing Hitler and Sam's fond indulgence; Sam 'outing' Dean as an anime watcher to Jody (and the casual familiarity implied by them simply dropping by her place without prior notice); the whole car ride scene in "Rock Never Dies"; pretty much all of "Regarding Dean"; Sam's unprompted confession to Dean at the end of "Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell"; the hotel scenes at the beginning of "Ladies Drink Free" (Sam's frantic juggling of books and car keys <3 ); all the diner scenes in "The Memory Remains" and the carving of their initials at the end of the episode; and of course Hey, lunatic and that hug in "Who We Are".
- The thing is, there are a ton of other scenes that I love--it just starts to get tedious trying to list them all. :P
- More great vids from Shaving People, Punting Things:
- I was a bit trepidatious about the reintroduction of Mary, mostly because I couldn't think of what they could do with her. But I found her storyline, and the storyline she gave Dean, unexpectedly compelling. I could understand and feel sorry for her, even while shaking my head over the damage she was doing to herself and her sons.
- This season also had what is undoubtedly the best season arc of all time: Dean and the grenade launcher.
- Did I mention it was a gorgeous season?
What are your favorite parts of s12?