- Everyone already knows each other--so we get to see them actually functioning as a 'family'.
- The Sovereign were the perfect blend of ridiculous and a credible threat.
- Pretty much everyone in the movie had their own little arc of some kind, even if it was shallow and centered on 'practical jokes' that weren't really funny. :P
- Everyone had a chance to be awesome. And also to screw up at least a little.
- The bright, bouncing visuals allowed the CGI characters to blend in seemlessly (my dad thought Rocket was a top-end practical effect).
- Pretty much every type of relationship was at least touched on--friendship, romantic m/f, platonic m/f, father/son in various forms, sisters, brothers (for all intents and purposes), captain-lieutenant ... even kinda mother-son. That's pretty dang rad.
- The fight scenes were filmed so that you could clearly follow what was happening, and were a nice blend of 'visually interesting' and 'important to the plot'.
- Baby Groot.
- Most fun I've had during the credit sequences since I watched a Pixar movie.
Overall, though, it held up better than I'd anticipated.